19 July 1980, Moonlight Club, West Hampstead, London

19 July 1980
Moonlight Club, West Hampstead, London

w/ The Durutti Column, Kevin Hewick and Blurt.

Many thanks to Kevin Hewick for not only confirming the date but also providing his recollections of the event:

"I remember the July Moonlight event as having a more negative vibe than the April one. Ian had died since so for me a lot of positivity about the label seemed to go with him. Those tragic events are endlessly rewound and analysed... but for the rest of us life had to go on.
It felt very hot and very crowded. There was expectation... but for what?

"Now only the other evening I was discussing the following with James Nice: My memory is both good and bad but I have convinced myself that this was the first time I met Vini Reilly and saw The Durutti Column which was just him with a guitar and a reel to reel tape recorder playing a backing track. He was stunning, a guitar genius, and a wonderful person, I felt all that on this night about him.
I am sure Blurt didn’t play. My uncle had been a big Quintessence fan and we used to play their albums loads so on the April date I was pretty keen to meet Jake Milton who had drummed with them. They weren’t there this time.. I think?

"Ratio and I had not quite hit it off at first so I found that hard. My theory is they'd got sick of hearing Tony going "Kevin Hewick. Kevin Hewick. Kevin Hewick." but that problem was soon solved by him then going "Stockholm Monsters. Stockholm Monsters. Stockholm Monsters." - Tony's next big thing was a nomadic concept...

"I now know the blend of talent and personality in ACR was a miracle - and their music was miraculous.If Miles Davis had done that stuff..
Sorry about this but I want to say something about me. I really suffered onstage on this night. What I was doing was kind of... interesting and... different but it was half cooked in terms of development/editing/execution... and I crashed straight into that whole post punk have we got to throw something have we got to spit we have got to ridicule things mentality. After an early wave of goodwill that included the Factory By Moonlight show I was now in this confrontation with what are now grey haired old men and the odd lady (it was such a boys club!) who I have cursed to be racked with arthritis and diabetes and kidney d.. oh, that’s me. So mote it be.

"This is the night I thought Alan Erasmus had fixed me up somewhere to stay like last time (The ICA) but he hadn't... so I was on the streets of London with two guitars and a bag. Hours of... nothingness and feeling scared every time I saw anyone coming toward me. The waiting room at St Pancras opened at 6am and everybody piled in and grabbed a bench to lie on. Two guys opposite me had sombreros and toy donkeys, one was Olympic swimming gold medalist David Wilkie.

"It was too weird being on Factory..."

More info/imagery (e.g. setlist, flyer, ticket) needed.

Comments